Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tools of the Trade


Two years ago at the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, I taught a Deep Tissue Massage class. As part of the class I made massage tools required for my course. I knew then as I know now that tools are a necessary part of a massage career. Without them we are more open to injury and lose the effectiveness of our craft.

I have been using massage tools since massage school. The tools bring a different level to your work, a refinement if you will. I know many therapists reluctant to use tools for many reasons. But to prevent injury to your digits, arms, shoulders, etc. from working to hard are the reasons to use them.

Now tools have been around for thousands of years as aids for our healing ancestors. They are nothing new. Our ancestors knew back then, that to be effective in their work they needed help from an object that they gave life to, just by using it. Tools are just an extension of your hands, fingers, elbows; because you are in control.

In Chinese medicine they will use anything from a mason jar to a spoon to get the job done. Again, it is not the tool that is in control but you. Ask any Jedi Knight if they want to work without their tool, the light saber!

I use a lot of tools in my table and chair work for different things (right tool for the right job). I use the entire line of Acufore tools. These are some of the best on the market and they come with a instructional dvd to get you started. Just so you know, the Star was my first tool. For more info click HERE.

For ji fa (chopping) I will use Bongers. The Bongers are great for stimulation. Another good tool that I use in my chair work is the Therapist Thumb. This tool as well as the Acuforce Star are great for working on the sub occipital muscles of the neck.

I will also incorporate the Omni massage roller for rubbing along the back and outside of the legs. The Omni along the IT-band is great for breaking up adhesions. Try it in the hip also. To find these tools and others click HERE.

The way to use tools is just like using your fingers, hands, elbow and knees. You must practice and practice. Then one day you will point a tool in a trigger point and feel the point relax or feel the energy of a acupressure point through your tool to your body. Now that is true healing.

Now if you are a therapist interested in learning more about tools and how to use them; Tony Zayner will be teaching a class called Tool Time at the Naprapathy College on April 29. He will instruct the class in over 25 tools from manual to mechanical. For more info click HERE.